Nothing written herein should be construed as financial or medical advice.

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Fed Funds and the economy

 Changes in interest rates cause swings in economic activity, but with a lag.  The lag varies from cycle to cycle and economy to economy.   Also, when interest rates rise, they cause the economy to fall (with a lag).  And when they fall, they cause the economy to recover (again with a lag, though the lag may be different from when interest rates are rising).  So, in the chart below, the change in the Fed Funds rate is plotted inverted, with a lag.   I have chosen an 18 months lag, but as I said, it varies from cycle to cycle.  With the GFC (2007-2009) the lag was longer, for reasons I've discussed before.

What this indicator points to is a recession as deep as the GFC, and a lower turning point at the end of 2024.

The QCI is an equally-weighted average of the volume of retail sales, industrial production, and non-agricultural employment.
It closely tracks quarterly GDP.




No comments:

Post a Comment