Sunday, September 22, 2013

Serendipitous coincidence

The day after I did the post about global warming leading to rises in sea level, my sister in South Africa sent me this photo.  It shows Beach road in The Strand, a town I often visited (I used to surf further along the beach, to the right of this picture)  I haven't been there in 30 years.

The newspaper article about this flood suggested it was rain, but as you see, the entire beach is covered and the waves are breaking over the sea wall embankment and the dual carriageway which lines the beach.  There has been heavy rain, and as usual, parts of Cape Town (the poorer parts, as so often) have been flooded.  But to achieve this kind of flooding from rain, one would expect to see strong currents between the buildings (high-rise apartments and hotels along the waterfront) and as you see there are none.  The floodwaters would be flowing over the concrete sea wall out to sea.  The flow is the other way.

Sea levels are rising.  Steadily.  Inexorably.  Disastrously.  While the world fiddles about carbon emissions.


No comments:

Post a Comment