Thursday, December 22, 2022

My US leading indices point to recession

 My "medium"-leading US leading index now confirms my judgement that there will be a recession in 2023.



My US longer-leading index, which leads the cycle by 2 years, does not have as close a fit as the index shown above.  In the chart, it has been plotted with a 24-month lag.  It points towards a deep and prolonged recession.  Will that happen?  I've spent many years constructing these indices, and learning from forecasting mistakes, and I'm reasonably confident that the US will have a deep recession next year.  We shall see!



Meanwhile, ALL my leading indices point down.  My shorter-leading index, which leads by just a few months, suggests that short-term, the economic data are going to continue to deteriorate.






No comments:

Post a Comment